Senior Legal Counsel | Melbourne
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||02-Oct-2019|
A global leader in consulting, technology services and digital transformation, the Capgemini Group is at the forefront of innovation to address the entire breadth of clients' opportunities in the evolving world of cloud, digital and platforms. Building on its strong 50-year heritage and deep industry-specific expertise, Capgemini enables organizations to realize their business ambitions through an array of services from strategy to operations. Capgemini is driven by the conviction that the business value of technology comes from and through people. A multicultural company of over 200,000 team members in more than 40 countries, the Group reported 2018 global revenues of EUR 13.2 billion. People matter, results count. Learn more about us at www.capgemini.com
Let's talk about the team:
Capgemini's global legal team has over 150 in-house lawyers. The Australian and New Zealand team currently consists of the General Counsel and Ethics & Compliance Officer, seven lawyers and one PA, based in Sydney, Melbourne, Bangalore and Mumbai. The team advises the Australian and New Zealand business and works closely with Capgemini lawyers working for the parent company based in Paris and (from time to time) with other lawyers around the world on particular projects and global deals.
Let's talk about the role and responsibilities:
We have a bold and creative approach to providing business solutions and are looking for a bright, talented and commercially astute lawyer with a strong grounding in commercial/IT law. As a Senior Legal Counsel working for Capgemini Australia, you will advise on a wide variety of contractual and legal compliance matters related to Capgemini Australia and New Zealand. You will work closely together with business colleagues (your “clients”) and will be the lead lawyer on commercial deals.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- As the lead deal lawyer: providing legal advice on, and drafting and negotiating IT contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Applications Development Agreements, Managed Services Agreements (including Applications Management, Infrastructure and Business Process Outsourcing services), “as a Service” agreements and supporting the business with related project documentation such as Statements of Work, software resell/licencing agreements, and subcontracts. The successful candidate will enjoy a high degree of autonomy and will work on all phases of deals. These phases range from from the proposal/bid review stages, right through to final negotiation as well as supporting the business with any post signature issues, including legal advice to assist with contract management;
- Acting as a co-ordinating legal “business partner” for a sector of the business e.g. Financial Services; and
- Advising on compliance with laws and company policies with a particular focus on Ethics and Compliance issues (including internal investigations)
Ancillary roles will include providing legal sign-off on deals (including Australian & Group legal sign-off processes), development and presentation of legal training courses, policy drafting, dispute resolution (including advice on strategy and working with external litigators), ad hoc legal advice relating to the general operations of the company and working as part of the global legal team on global initiatives.
Let's talk about your qualifications and experience:
- You have a university degree in Law in Australia with excellent academic results and are qualified to practice as a solicitor in Victoria;
- You have 7+ years of experience, preferably as a lawyer in a similar IT professional services industry or advising IT professional services industry clients in an international law firm. Exposure to drafting and negotiating IT professional services agreements (agile methodology as well as traditional waterfall) and familiarity with legal compliance issues are key assets;
- You are a team player and demonstrate a good project management approach combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- You have a very good business understanding and are willing to learn and evolve in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
- You are flexible in terms of mobility (role and geographically) both in terms of deal specific requirements and in the mid/long term for future career development within a global organisation.
Applications are particularly welcomed from lawyers with hands-on experience in the IT professional services industry (either in-house or in advising IT professional services industries in private practice) leading large value contract negotiations.
The key attributes for the role of a Senior Legal Counsel are:
- Proven commercial skills and understanding of legal issues in the IT professional services industry
- Ability to function as part of the management team and develop sustainable relationships at middle and top management level
- Follows legal developments and market trends for competitive positioning
- Quick to recognise emerging offerings in own area and leads efforts to develop collateral and update work practices where appropriate
- Ability to put an appropriate “spin” on collateral sourced from across the Group to render it compelling in own business area and local jurisdiction
- Understands and manages risks and issues related to own work - escalates appropriately while maintaining independence
- Takes ownership for complex pieces of work
- Has a strategic outlook on own area's development and supports the General Counsel in setting direction
- Understands the financial impact of own area on Capgemini as a whole
- Is capable of acting successfully as a reviewer and/or mentor to junior colleagues
- Is able to influence and lead colleagues and clients to achieve business objectives, including the ability to give persuasive formal presentations to management if required
- Fosters knowledge sharing across the Legal team and wider business units
What happens next and what can we offer you?
Interested? Passionate people are Capgemini's Ace of spades. We believe that every one of us is an architect of positive futures. We invite you to join us to discover a career that will challenge, support and inspire you. Working at Capgemini you'll find the rewards are more than just financial. Not only will you work alongside inspiring colleagues with a world of experience, but you'll also have access to great benefits including, salary continuance insurance, paid parental leave, education assistance, salary packaging, the ability to purchase additional leave; as well as discounts on entertainment, financial and wellbeing services, travel and shopping. Talk to us about working part-time or full time.
Ranked among Ethisphere's 2019 Most Ethical Companies in the World (for the 7th year running!), our seven values are at the heart of everything we do - Honesty, Boldness, Trust, Team Spirit, Freedom, Fun and Modesty. As Social Innovators, we are committed to making a positive impact on the planet and our communities. Capgemini is a proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants must be legally entitled to work in the country the role is based out of, unless otherwise stated within the job advertisement. Proof of work entitlements and visa status will be required prior to and/or at time of offer. Successful applicants will be required to complete a security and reference checks prior to commencement of employment.
Please note unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.