Legal Counsel and Data Protection Officer | Sydney
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||01-May-2019|
About the Team
Capgemini's global legal team has over 150 in-house lawyers. The Australian and New Zealand team currently consists of the General Counsel and Ethics & Compliance Officer, six lawyers and one PA, based in Sydney, Melbourne and Mumbai. The team advises the Australian and New Zealand business and works closely with Capgemini lawyers working for the parent company based in Paris and (from time to time) with other lawyers around the world on particular projects and global deals.
About the Role
Capgemini Australia is currently looking to recruit a Legal Counsel and Data Protection Officer to be based in Sydney. We have a bold and creative approach to providing business solutions and are looking for a bright, talented and commercially astute lawyer with a strong grounding in commercial/IT and privacy law.
As a Legal Counsel working for Capgemini Australia, you will advise on a wide variety of corporate/contractual matters related to Capgemini Australia and New Zealand. You will work closely together with the business people (your “clients”) and will be the lead lawyer on commercial deals. In your capacity as Data Protection Officer, you will work with colleagues in the Regional and Global data protection network to promote data privacy compliance and global training initiatives.
You will report to the Deputy General Counsel and will work directly with her and with the other in-house lawyers.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- As the lead deal lawyer: providing legal advice on, and drafting and negotiating IT contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Application Development/Management Agreements, Infrastructure Agreements (including Business Process Outsourcing) and supporting the business with related project documentation such as Statements of Work, software licencing agreements, and subcontracts. The successful candidate will enjoy a high degree of autonomy and will work on all phases of deals, ranging from the proposal/bid review stages, right through to final negotiation and supporting the business with any post signature issues, including legal advice to assist with contract management;
- As the Data Protection Officer for Capgemini Australia and New Zealand (role to be transitioned from the Deputy General Counsel): supporting the Regional and Global data protection teams to carry out local data privacy activities including advising on local law requirements, internal training, GDPR compliance (where applicable), and implementation of the Capgemini Group's binding corporate rules;
- Advising on compliance with company policies (including Ethics and Compliance, Competition laws, Labour Law); and
- Potentially acting as a co-ordinating legal “business partner” for a sector of the business.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- You have a university degree in Law with excellent academic results and are qualified to practice as a solicitor in NSW;
- You have 3+ years of experience, preferably as a lawyer in an international law firm or in-house, with IT professional services experience. Exposure to drafting and negotiating IT professional services agreements and familiarity with data privacy issues are key assets;
- You are a team player and demonstrate a good project management approach combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- You have a very good business understanding and are willing to learn and evolve in an entrepreneurial and results-oriented environment;
Applications are welcomed from lawyers with either a good existing knowledge of IT professional services and data privacy law or the desire to move into this area plus hands-on experience with contract negotiations, whether in-house or in private practice.
In return, we offer you an interesting job with growth opportunities, within a dynamic and professional environment, and appropriate salary conditions.
What we can offer you?
Working at Capgemini you'll find the rewards are more than just financial. Not only will you work alongside inspiring colleagues with a world of experience but you will also have access to great benefits including, salary continuance insurance, paid parental leave, education assistance, salary packaging, the ability to purchase additional leave, as well as, discounts on entertainment, financial and wellbeing services, travel and shopping.
Capgemini is one of the world's foremost providers of consulting, technology, outsourcing services and local professional services. Present in over 40 countries with more than 180,000 people, the Capgemini Group helps its clients transform in order to improve their performance and competitive positioning.
Ranked among Ethisphere's 2018 Most Ethical Companies in the Word. Our seven values are at the heart of everything we do - Honesty, Boldness, Trust, Team Spirit, Freedom, Fun and Modesty.
If you believe you have “La Niaque” to go the extra mile, then apply by submitting your resume and cover letter.
Want to know more? To learn more about Capgemini and find out about what makes our people unique, log onto www.capgemini.com.au
Proof of work entitlements and visa status will be required prior or at offer time. Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Record and Reference checks prior to commencement of employment.